Founded in 1999, Magnetic North will celebrate its 21st anniversary in Autumn 2020.
Run by Artistic Director Nicholas Bone and Producer Verity Leigh, we combine developing and producing live theatre with innovative multi-artform artist development.
We collaborate with playwrights, composers, choreographers, visual artists, performers and other artists to create a wide range of work including plays, music-theatre, installations, online events and films. Our comprehensive artist development strand has supported over 150 independent artists to continue developing.
To be leaders at the heart of ambitious artist-centred development and production in Scotland, the UK and internationally.
To run a multi-art form programme of artist-centred development and production that creates significant paid opportunities for diverse individual artists at different career stages and produces a distinctive body of high-quality work for audiences in Scotland, the UK and internationally.
To give artists from a range of disciplines and backgrounds the nourishment, focused support and production opportunities needed to continue developing and creating great work throughout their careers.
As Artistic Director, I am responsible for the artistic programme of the company. I work with the Producer and Artistic Administrator to implement our programme of productions and artist development. I facilitate the company’s Rough Mix, Space/Time and Artist Attachment programmes and work with writers, designers and other freelance artists to develop and create productions.
I direct all the company’s productions and have worked with playwrights such as Clare Duffy, Lynda Radley, Linda McLean and Tom McGrath on new plays for the company. I sometimes write the text for productions, most recently Lost in Music, Our Fathers (co-written with Rob Drummond) and A Walk at the Edge of the World.
Contact me if:
- You are an artist (e.g. playwright, composer, visual artist) and want to know how we might support your development
- You are from an organisation interested in partnering with us on a project or residency
- You want to know more about any of the residencies we run
I am Magnetic North’s Producer which means I work with the Artistic Director to oversee the activity of the company, with the guidance of our Board of Directors. I lead on project and financial management for the company and work with the Artistic Director to initiate and develop collaborations which will help Magnetic North achieve its goals.
Contact me if:
- You would like to talk about collaborating with Magnetic North
- You would like Magnetic North to tour to your venue
- You have a question about an invoice or payment
I am Magnetic North’s Artistic Administrator, which means I lead on the co-ordination of Rough Mix and Space/Time, our development opportunities for artists. I also plan events and socials for our artists’ network and support the Artist Attachments.
Contact me if:
- You are an artist interested in how Magnetic North can help you
- You are interested in partnering with Magnetic North to deliver an artist development opportunity
- You have any other questions about our Artist & Project Development programme that is not answered on our website
I am Magnetic North’s Marketing Manager which means that I promote the company and its productions. I oversee PR, web, email and social media management, advertising and print production.
Contact me if:
- You are a journalist seeking information
- You would like to talk about setting up a promotional ‘swap’
- You have a question about our website, email newsletters or social media channels
Our Board of Directors is:
- Alex Hinton
Marketing Manager, National Museums Scotland
- Alice McGrath
Creative Director, Red Bridge Arts
- Lesley Anne Rose
Writer & Producer
- Mark Saunders (Chair)
Director & Educator
- Nicholas Bone
- Paula Van Hagen
Director, Chats Palace
- Sadie McKinlay
Head of Development, Edinburgh International Festival
Several of our plays are published:
- A Walk at the Edge of the World
(Magnetic North 2014) available direct from us for £5.00 inc UK p&p (RRP £6.00)
- Sex and God
(Nick Hern Books 2012) available direct from us for £6.00 inc UK p&p (RRP £9.99)
- Pass the Spoon
(Hayward Publishing 2012) available from Blackwells.
(Magnetic North 2009) available direct from us for £4.00 inc UK p&p (RRP £4.99) very limited stock
- After Mary Rose
(Magnetic North 2009) available direct from us for £4.00 inc UK p&p (RRP £5.99)
- My Old Man
(Capercaillie 2005) - now out of print.