Founded in 1999, Magnetic North celebrated its 21st anniversary in Autumn 2020.
Led by Artistic Director Nicholas Bone and Producer Verity Leigh, we combine developing and producing live theatre with innovative multi-artform artist development.
We collaborate with playwrights, composers, choreographers, visual artists, performers and other artists to create a wide range of work including plays, music-theatre, installations, online events and films. Our comprehensive artist development strand has supported over 150 independent artists to continue developing.
To be leaders at the heart of ambitious artist-centred development and production in Scotland, the UK and internationally.
To run a multi-art form programme of artist-centred development and production that creates significant paid opportunities for diverse individual artists at different career stages and produces a distinctive body of high-quality work for audiences in Scotland, the UK and internationally.
To give artists from a range of disciplines and backgrounds the nourishment, focused support and production opportunities needed to continue developing and creating great work throughout their careers.
Magnetic North is committed to minimising any negative environmental impact of our work. We have a Carbon Management Plan which sets out how we are monitoring and reducing our carbon emissions from travel, waste and energy use. We expect all our staff, Board, collaborating artists and freelancers to support us in this work and are committed to sharing our carbon reduction actions and learning with these collaborators, with our colleagues in the theatre sector, and with our audiences. Magnetic North is a member of the Green Arts Initiative run by Creative Carbon Scotland.
- We first measured our carbon emissions for travel, energy and waste in the year 2018-9. In the following year, 2019-20, we reduced our emissions by 42%.
- We do not fly on company business within the UK.
- We encourage active travel and public transport and actively enable car-sharing for artists participating in our residency programmes.
- The Covid pandemic forced us to move our work online. We recognise that this has benefits for carbon management as well as access and inclusion. From 2021 onwards, we plan to run at least one of our two annual Space/Time retreats online.
As Artistic Director, I am responsible for the artistic programme of the company. I work with the Producer and Artistic Administrator to implement our programme of productions and artist development. I facilitate the company’s Rough Mix, Space/Time and Artist Attachment programmes and work with writers, designers and other freelance artists to develop and create productions.
I direct all the company’s productions and have worked with playwrights such as Clare Duffy, Lynda Radley, Linda McLean and Tom McGrath on new plays for the company. I sometimes write the text for productions, most recently Lost in Music, Our Fathers (co-written with Rob Drummond) and A Walk at the Edge of the World.
Contact me if:
- You are an artist (e.g. playwright, composer, visual artist) and want to know how we might support your development
- You are from an organisation interested in partnering with us on a project or residency
- You want to know more about any of the residencies we run
I am Magnetic North’s Producer which means I work with the Artistic Director to oversee the activity of the company, with the guidance of our Board of Directors. I lead on project and financial management for the company and work with the Artistic Director to initiate and develop collaborations which will help Magnetic North achieve its goals.
Contact me if:
- You would like to talk about collaborating with Magnetic North
- You would like Magnetic North to tour to your venue
- You have a question about an invoice or payment
I am Magnetic North’s Marketing Manager which means that I promote the company and its productions. I oversee PR, web, email and social media management, advertising and print production.
Contact me if:
- You are a journalist seeking information
- You would like to talk about setting up a promotional ‘swap’
- You have a question about our website, email newsletters or social media channels
I am Magnetic North’s Artistic Administrator, which means I lead on the co-ordination of Rough Mix and Space/Time, our development opportunities for artists. I also plan events and socials for our artists’ network and support the Artist Attachments.
Contact me if:
- You are an artist interested in how Magnetic North can help you
- You are interested in partnering with Magnetic North to deliver an artist development opportunity
- You have any other questions about our Artist & Project Development programme that is not answered on our website
Our Board of Directors is:
Alex Hinton Marketing Manager, National Museums Scotland
Aditi Jehangir, Press Assistant, Cornershop PR
Lesley Anne Rose Writer & Producer
Mark Saunders (Chair) Director & Educator
Nicholas Bone Artistic Director, Magnetic North
Paula Van Hagen Director, Chats Palace
Sadie McKinlay Head of Development, Edinburgh International Festival
Restless Exploration: 21 Years of Magnetic North (Magnetic North 2021)
Summary Annual Report for the year ended 31 March 2021, read it here.
Summary Annual Report for the year ended 31 March 2020, read it here.
A Walk at the Edge of the World (Magnetic North 2014) available direct from us for £5.00 inc UK p&p (RRP £6.00)
Sex and God (Nick Hern Books 2012) available direct from us for £6.00 inc UK p&p (RRP £9.99)
Pass the Spoon (Hayward Publishing 2012) available from Bookshop.org.
Walden (Magnetic North 2009) available direct from us for £4.00 inc UK p&p (RRP £4.99) very limited stock
After Mary Rose (Magnetic North 2009) available direct from us for £5.00 inc UK p&p (RRP £5.99)
My Old Man (Capercaillie 2005) - now out of print.